I am in a tizzy about a YouTube vid I have seen making the rounds of late. It’s about prioritizing worry. And I’m all about prioritizing. A place for everything, everything in its place, and what do I seriously need to focus on next?
99 problems, and this ain’t one! Where “this” = whatever I’m trying to forget. Like Facebook. Or sumfin.
Fact: Potty mouth ain’t at the top of my list of worries.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I am possessed of a potty mouth, so I fully admit I could be biased here.
My potty mouth bothers my little girl, and her language lacks potties.
My potty mouth used to bother my son, before he became an adult.Now that he’s “all growed up” my potty mouth is more likely to crack him up than offend his delicate sensitivities. Probably because his sensitivities really aren’t very delicate.
I have been asked by people at various times to tone down my potty mouth. Depending upon the venue, I may or may not comply.
Venues wherein I zip my potty mouth:
- Around my mom. But only minimally. As in, I am vaguely conscious my potty mouth offends her Christian principles, so I put mild effort into avoiding F-bombs. But sometimes I forget, and use the F-bombs anyway. My mom probably cares more than her gawd does. Also, basically I’m an asshole.
- When my sister has company. I try to behave around her people, because I don’t have to clean up the fallout once I leave, and I don’t think it would be fair to leave her stuck with a mess I made. Just because I’m an asshole doesn’t mean my sister is an asshole. Although, just between you and me, sometimes she is an asshole, too. But she hides it a lot better. Because she is way more mature than I am.
- When I can’t avoid being around other parents. I don’t want anyone to assume my daughter is an asshole just because her mom is VERY CLEARLY an asshole.
- When specifically requested to do so by people for whom I give a shit. Like, my scrapbooking lady. She doesn’t tend to care if I use potty mouth, but when she has new clients, she asks me to tone it down so as not to scare them off right away. I am aware that I’m an acquired taste. She shouldn’t have to lose business just because I’m an asshole.
Whereas I come across to some people as a classless baboon, it really should be stated that I’m more of a classy baboon.
So when I saw this YouTube vid of these little girls throwing F-bombs into the wind, I about lost my shit. In the good way. Wherein “losing my shit” = cracked the fuck up.
I mean, they are so GOOD at it! They are better at potty mouth language than *I* am, and that’s saying something, because I’m no slouch.
I skipped the comments, because I can only imagine how outrageously offended people are about innocent children being encouraged to utilize such naughty language. I have absolutely no doubt, about 90% of viewers will likely miss the message’s point, which is that there are much more important things to get cheesed over than dirty words. Things like rape, pay inequality, image issues… you know… shit that actually matters. I simply cannot bring myself to get emotionally worked up over (a) the F-bombs themselves, or (b) pointless negative reactions to such.
The FCKH8 movement — using shocking language in a shocking way to make what absolutely should NOT be a shocking statement — apparently arrives at the same time a cleaning app is sweeping the interwebz free of dirty words.
I’m torn on this. As a writer — an artist — a creator — I believe in freedom of expression. As an American, I am definitely for protecting freedom of speech. And as a damn fine slinger of F-bombs, I am all for keeping hands off my potty mouth.
I don’t necessarily have a problem with other people wanting to read shit that is lacking glitter and jazz.
I think they are silly.
I think they are missing some good stuff.
I think they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.
But if they want to be that way, it hurts me not at all. So I’m actually okay with it.
The problem arises, however, when trademarked or copyrighted material is being changed without the author’s permission.
That, my friends, is fucked up.
For example, I will soon be taking part in a challenge in which participants are encouraged to “keep it clean” because all ages and religions will be passing through. All of which is a polite way of saying,
Kids and Christians might be reading your shit.
So, like, can you fucking tone it down?
And, since I’m not a COMPLETE asshole, I will certainly keep my F-bombs to a minimum.
Even though I think it’s a stupid request, I respect that they administrators and volunteers have a right to ask.
Even though I think people who have a problem with so-called “blue language” are kind of prissy and boring, I respect that these prissy and boring people are trying to make something appealing for ALL, and sadly, I don’t represent ALL.
So yeah. No F-bombs in April. Gotcha.
But if someone copies my posts, removes and/or changes the phrasing, and then republishes the material in a “cleaner” format?
People have the right to REQUEST glitter-free creations.
People do NOT have the right to DEMAND glitter-free creations, or (pending explicit permission), to alter creations already in existence.
Creators, of course, have the right to create material that is steeped in F-bombs, smooth as blank paper, or anywhere in between.
It’s tantamount to walking into a movie called Fight Club and then getting pissed about the violence.
Oh. That actually happened. So I guess I understand after all.
Basically, people are mostly just trolls looking for a fight.
Do you use euphemisms?
- What makes “shoot” better than “shit”? SERIOUS QUESTION.
- Why is cursing considered a sign of low intellect?
- Tell me your favorite exclamation of anger, pain, or frustration. In addition to F-bombs, I’m awfully partial to gadzooks, holy moly, and yikes. I’M NOT EVEN LYING. For realz.