Tracy & Kel (@daoofdoing) of The Dao of Doing are two of my very favorite ladies on the planet. Back in April they spent a week counting down the five most important things you can do when starting to do what you love. I have been following their blog for a really long time now, and these lessons in particular have stuck with me. I hope they strike a cord with you, too.
- Time — take it so you can DO it — whatever your “it” is. Taking time to do what you love isn’t selfish.
- Go ahead & rock that boat, if that’s what it takes to DO it.
- You can do what you love, and you can follow your dream, but you can’t always do both at once. If following your dream feels too big, do something you love for a while, to practice building your dream-following muscles until you’re able to DO it.
- Don’t be afraid to go out & learn how to *DO* whatever your “it” is. Be a student of life, and find new ways to be your best self. Learn new ways to DO it.
- Slow down & stop being so busy “being busy”. Cut out the TV, computering, &/or compulsive reading if that’s what it takes to DO it. Go on an input “fast” so you can hear yourself think.
- Spend some time alone. DO it.
- Make a ridiculous list of everything you want to do. Then, pick one small thing you can do right now, and DO it. Realize that the only difference between you & the people you most admire is that they DO stuff. You can DO stuff, too.
- Master your finances. Know what’s happening with your money, so it’s one less thing to stress over while you DO it.
- De-clutter your life. Taking even 15 minutes per day can make a huge difference in your surroundings & help you DO it.
- Be consciously aware in your day-to-day life. Wake up. Be intentional in all you do. Move with a sense of purpose. This makes it easier to DO it.
If you would like to see what lessons you can glean from these wise ladies at The Dao of Doing, which I highly recommend, give them a visit.
Doing Countdown Day One: 5 Fears Debunked
Doing Countdown Day Two: 4 Things to Stop Doing
Doing Countdown Day Three: 3 Things to Get You Going
Doing Countdown Day Four: 2 Skills That Help Build a “Doing” Mind Set
Doing Countdown Day Five: The Number 1 Most Important Thing You Can Do